LRC Managers’ Network Meeting – Deeside College, Friday 22nd June

I travelled up to Wrexham the day before the meeting – for once my trains from Aberystwyth were on time, wahey! I got off the train to a warm breeze, and joined two of my RSC Wales colleagues (Lis Parcell and Christine Davies, who had been in North Wales visiting various institutions already). I liked the place where we stayed – The Lemon Tree, a neo-Gothic building with Italian-themed decor.

lemon-tree-exterior.JPG

[The Lemon Tree, exterior]

lemon-tree-stairs.JPG

[The impressive carved wooden staircase inside]

The meeting the next day was a good chance to meet many of the LRC managers – as well as those who attended Deeside College venue, we were videoconferencing with other locations (Coleg Morgannwg and Swansea College). It was an opportunity to introduce myself, and to summarise some issues related to Athens and Shibboleth, and the JISC Federated Access Management Event I mentioned in an earlier post. Also the results from the RSC Wales Athens / Shibboleth online survey conducted by Samantha Edwards back in March. Nearly half of the FE institutions in Wales had responded to that – it would be nice if we could increase that response rate next time! Lis covered all the other RSC Wales issues and outlined our support services for the coming three years.

Other items being discussed included an update on CyMAL projects by Priscilla Dawson; an update on e-book options for Welsh FE colleges by Lynne Evans; and an update on the innovative peer evaluation project by Andrew Eynon (I’m sure there could be an article for CILIP Update or the CyMAL magazine somewhere in there!).

After the meeting we were given a tour of the Deeside College ‘Learning Zone’ by the LRC manager, Patrick Cox, and I was able to ask my usual librarian questions about classification schemes (UDC in this case), collections, staffing and so on… The photos below were taken by Lis Parcell.

deeside-college-learning-zone-ground-floor.jpg

[A view of the Deeside College Learning Zone]

l-to-r-andrew-eynon-ceri-powell-karl-drinkwater-beth-gibbs-and-host-patrick-cox.jpg

[Left to right: Andrew Eynon, Ceri Powell, me, Beth Gibbs and host Patrick Cox]

karl-sports-his-rsc-uniform.jpg

[I love libraries!]

My journey back to Aberystwyth went smoothly too, and I was home by about 8pm on Friday evening. I hope all the rest of my public transport journeys go so well.